Friday 31 October 2008

4. It's OK, I'm OK

31/10/08 continued.

Sorry about that. I'm fine, really. But it's a stressful, unique situation, not really knowing what's going on, no way of asking. And cats do matter. I'm not a cat person, I don't call them my babies or anything like that. But they have their own personalities and you get used to them being around.

Anyway, less on that subject. I need to get up to date, I'm finding it hard still writing in retrospect, which is silly, because as long as I'm accounting events it's always going to be in retrospect... I just don't want to get too far ahead of the time. So we're on yesterday - we'd found out about the 10 day quarantine and we'd just opened the parcel and taped up our house.

The only instruction left on the card was to listen to local radio. Hmmm. Being stuck in the house is one thing, but with local radio on all the time? No offence to local radio, they provide a great service, but they don't play the music me and B. want to listen to. And the worst of them interrupt the music we don't want to listen to with incredibly annoying adverts all the time. I'm really not sure we could make it through 10 days listening to that. The only time we don't have music on in the house is first thing in the morning and when B. is out - that's when I get to enjoy Radio 4. So we left that one for a while and started working through the record collection.
Niggles at you though, the lack of information. Thinking everyone else might know something you don't. Eventually we caved. We figured get it tuned in now then dip in every so often. Could we find any? No - I can think of at least 5 local radio stations, admittedly I don't know what frequency they're on, but you'd think amongst the beeps and whistles as the red bar moved up and down we'd find one of them. Classic FM? Fine. All the main BBCs? Right here. But no local stations. I wondered if we could get local TV news. We hadn't used the television as a television for ages now. The reception was always bad, but they're doing the digital switch over sometime soon. We had a try, first flicking between numbers on the remote, then manually tuning through. Sometimes you could just make out a shape amongst the grey and white jagged lines, but that's the best we could get.
So Radio 4 is on in the bedroom, records are playing downstairs and if something we need to know happens we're sure 'They', the neighbours or Radio 4 will let us know!

Well that's me up to date, I think. You'll have to bear with me if the next 8 days turn into the wandering musings of a cabin-fevered nutcase.

No comments:

Post a Comment